Monday, February 20, 2012

JUGS124 & PPA129 - Birthday Flowers


PPA129Well, we're off to the start of a new week!  I hope everyone had a good weekend.  I went to a Eagle Scout Court of Honor, got to visit my mom and dad, and even had a little time to make a card!  My son is off school today to celebrate President's Day.  He stayed overnight at a friends house for an all night video game session so I will be leaving shortly to pick him up. 
Today I'm playing along with Just Us Girls Challenge 124 - this week is a color challenge.  I took the sketch design from  Pals Paper Arts for a starting point.  I turned the design upside down because I thought the flowers hid too much of that pretty scalloped edge.  
You can get the details for both challenges here:

I made the flowers using a Sizzix Bigz die called Spiral/Garland.  It was originally intended as a Christmas decoration die but seeing as all rolled flowers start with this simple spiral design I thought  - why not?  I think this simple spiral resulted in a more casual looking flower which was what I was aiming for.  After I hot glued them down (so they wouldn't keep rolling apart) and  added a little glitter.  I dipped a cotton swab in glue and ran it along the edges of the flowers, and then sprinkled on some Martha Stewart coarse glitter.   I didn't have any blue pearl gems for the flower centers so I took some regular white pearls and colored them with a Copic Marker.

I have to tell you I hated buying that big bottle of glitter around Christmas time - I thought I would never in my lifetime use that much glitter - but it's turning out to be one of the things I keep reaching for.  I can say the same thing for the Twinery Twine Spools - 240 yards???  That's a lot of twine!  Sure it's a great deal - about 6 cents a yard - but really do I need that much???  It's turning out to be another great item to have on hand that always adds a little extra to my cards.

Thank you for stopping by to have a look.  I hope you find some time to create something special today - just to show someone you love how much you care!

Jeanne


Supplies Used:  Finished Size 6X6"
Paper:  K& Co Cut N'Paste Collection - Green Leaf Paper is from Wild Raspberry Collection
Die Cuts:  Flowers Sizzix Bigz Spiral/Garland, Leaves Spellbinders Foliage, Blue Flowers Spellbinders Rose Creations
Border Punch:  EK Success Double Embossed Dotted Lace
Stamp:  Serendipity Happy Birthday  from Everyday Words Set Large 471QCL
Extras:  Martha Stewart Coarse Glitter, Tim Holtz/Ranger Distress Ink in Mustard Seed, Spun Sugar, Peeled Paint, Tumbled Glass, Sentiment Stamped in Versa Fine Vintage Sepia, Pins, Gems, Copic B16, Twinery Twine Blossom

12 comments:

Cathy Weber said...

I love those rolled flowers. I would never have know they started out as Xmas garland. Thanks for that tip about the glue and coarse glitter, I tried it once and made a glittery mess! The little branches behind the flowers add so much, very pretty today.

Marybeth said...

Great spring birthday card, love the rolled flowers . I also love a bit of glitter on a card, good tip for light handed glitter. I bet everyone loves getting a card from you. It is the gift!!

lainey said...

oooo I like this!! fab flowers :) lainey x

Jenny said...

If this card does not say Spring I don't know what does :) Your flowers and colors are perfection!

Linda Callahan said...

Beautifully done! Gorgeous flowers and wonderfully detailed!

Sharron said...

Another beauty--love these rolled flowers with the added glitter! Wonderful colors and details--a really great Spring card!

Pauline said...

Oh, this is sooo pretty Jeanne! LOVE this rolled flowers, and the leafy spray, it just sings of spring! A real stunner!

José said...

Wow, what a great card. I LOVE those flowers!! Great colors and design. You have a great style!

Sherrie Conner said...

This is a fabulous card! So pretty!

Mynn xx said...

OH MY WORD THIS IS AMAZING! Those rolled flowers are stunning!!! LOVe your pearly accents--the way you've used the colors is just perfect! :)

Dana Gustafson said...

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! LOVE those chunky glitter acents too! Thanks for playing with Just Us Girls.

Unknown said...

As you can tell Jeanne, I am playing catch up with your blog. My mind is in sensory overload right now. I just love your work and how each one is individual and unique in its own right. This card just makes me happy and I love it.