Friday, August 14, 2015

CASology - Aquatic - Dream Bigger

Wow is it it ever hot out today!  SO I thought I would spend some time indoors keeping cool - maybe actually get a little house work done too?   I love playing at CASology - working on my mad CAS skills and thinking that a CAS card shouldn't take long to put together.   How wrong I was.   I'll explain.  The cue word this week is "Aquatic".  I actually had to look that one up to make sure I was on the right page... Aquatic.. "relating to water" so I thought I'd play with water coloring... another thing I'm trying to perfect!  


This technique is nothing new, you've seen it before,  but something I've been wanting to try for a while.  I created the background by putting some distress ink on a matt, spraying with water, dabbing my paper, drying, dabbing some more, drying, dabbing... you get it.   

I tried this technique several times with different color inks - originally wanted pink and purple, but seedless preserves was so dark you couldn't read the stamp!  Then I tried adding some stenciling to the background, again, really distracting and getting darker by the minute. Finally put the purple down - actually put it back in the drawer so I wouldn't try it again for the 4th time!!   Finally stuck with Spun Sugar and Picked Raspberry.

Then I took distress ink and inked up the edges before stamping my sentiment in the center of the card.  It looked nice, but I thought I'd be a little daring.  My sentiment (new from Waltzingmouse) was staring at me telling me to "dream bigger" - take chances - so I did.  I cut a flower through it! 
To add a little dimension I cut several flowers from blank watercolor paper and glued them together before adding the original water colored one on top.  So tempted again to add sequins or something... had to sit on my hands to prevent this... took the photo.. and yes.. happy here.

Dream bigger darling and try something new yourself today!










Finished Size 4.25 x 5.5"
Stamp:  Waltzingmouse Dream Bigger
Die:  Poppystamps:  Bonney Stem
Ranger Distress Ink: Picked Raspberry, Spun Sugar

14 comments:

Julia Aston said...

Wonderful water spritzed background on this Jeanne - love your stacked die cut - what a great look! Julia xx

Lisa Elton said...

This is striking Jeanne, such a pretty background!

Tenia Nelson said...

LOVE!!

Marybeth said...

Your pink background came out beautifully ! Great card Jeanne!

Diane Jaquay said...

Jeanne, this is FABULOUS! Not only did you create a gorgeous watercolor background but I love the die cut technique you incorporated into your card, so darn COOL!!! Way to go :)

Joyce said...

Such a gorgeous background, and I love that bold sentiment. Very cool to cut the flower as well. Thanks so much for playing along at CASology this week.

Ardyth said...

Clever take on the cue card - love the effect of the watercolouring! So glad you joined us at CASology this week!

wienerhoneymooners said...

Jeanne, thisis totally amazing girl!!! Love the design, colors and ALL of it!!!! YOU rock!!! Thanks for your water color skills, LOVE it!!!

CASOlogy loves when you join in too!!!!

cm said...

I hear you about CAS cards: they are not easy to make! Still, when they work, they're amazing - and your card definitely works and it's amazing!! Such a gorgeous card with the pretty spritzed colour, the camo die cut and the wonderful sentiment!
Hugs~c

Jen W. said...

This is gorgeous, Jeanne! The watercoloured background is fabulous and I love the subtle die cut! Thanks for playing along with CASology this week.

Kim Heggins said...

This is absolutely gorgeous!!!!

Sharron said...

You came out with the perfect combo of colors. This is absolutely gorgeous! Gotta love lots of pink!!

Wendie / monkey loves oliver said...

Using distress ink as watercolor is such a beautiful technique that I've not had good luck with. Your card is gorgeous and is inspiring me to try it again.

Judy1223 said...

Jeanne, this is so gorgeous...and I love the inlaid die cuts! Thanks for joining us at CASology!